I love photographing engaged couples, why you may ask? Because I am just a big sappy romantic at heart, I love capturing the love and embraces between my two clients. Engagement sessions are designed to give the photographer and the couple a chance to get to know one another. These sessions will make you feel more comfortable and relaxed in front of the camera before your big day. When it comes to location I always ask my clients if there is a specific location that is meaningful and unique to their releationship. Or a location that tells us something about what you like to do together as a couple. Engagement sessions can be trendy or traditional as you like. For wardrobe ideas and tips check out my Wardrobe Inspiration Page on Pinterest.
Here are a few tips to help acheive a great engagement portrait session…
1. Relax…this is a tough one sometimes, especially for the guy. Most of my couples are tense in the begining, that’s why I try to break the ice and strike up conversation. The more you feel comfortable with me the more relaxed you will become. Try not to stress about the preperation of this shoot. I have had a lot of experince posing couples and working with my clients to achive the overall feel and theme that is desired. To help reduce the anxiety during the preperation stage, let’s talk. We can chat about themes, props, wardrobe choices ect. Remember I am here to help!
2. Dress for the Occasion…Think about the overall feel and theme of your session and try to choose a wardrobe that will compliment and stand out from the background. I’m not a fan of “matchy matchy” outfits for couples. I love it when my bride-to-be wears a colorful dress, heels and trendy accessories. Pinterest really is a great tool for my clients! Getting your hair and makeup done by a professional is something to think about, I have a fabulous stylist in Mount Pleasant that gives a discount to my clients. Let me know if you would like for me to set something up for you!
3. Location, Location, Location… Although meaningful settings are always good—don’t be afraid to think outside the box. I love shooting in places that have interesting elements, vibrant colors and textures. Maybe we could visit the location that you got engaged, the place where you kissed for the first time, or met. Location is key to a fabulous shoot!
4. Watch the Clock….Think about the time of the day you want your session to be. The sun and tide can play a huge role when picking a location in Charleston. My favorite time to shoot beach portraits is the evening, right before sunset. During the hot months, I like to either shoot in early morning or evening to eliminate shadows from a high sun.
5. Get Creative… Have fun with this shoot, show the world who the two of you are behind closed doors. Laugh, play and get creative with these shots. Incorporate cheesy props, fun backdrops and things that tell the story of how you fell in love. Engagement sessions should really be seen as a fun day out with the person you love the most, except with a photographer there to capture the moment. It’s the candid moments that turn out the best—so don’t be afraid to show affection, laugh and me silly!